It’s that special time of year.
Red and pink cardboard hearts filled with tempting chocolates are prominently displayed in the grocery store and the inevitable sappy love posts will soon take over Facebook newsfeeds.
Valentine’s Day is almost here.
Personally, I’ve always loved Valentine’s Day. I think it’s sweet to have a day dedicated to celebrating love. My husband, on the other hand, has always claimed it to be a holiday run by corporations and Hallmark.
He’s not what you would call the King of Romance, though he truly is an amazing man. I’ve long ago decided that he’s a keeper, despite his lack of love for February 14th. I realized many years ago that if I wanted romance on Valentine’s Day, I would just have to make it for myself.
After a few years of research and experimentation, I can happily report that pursuing self-love for Valentine’s Day is a fabulous idea!
In this age of fierce, strong, independent women, why on earth shouldn’t February 14th be an opportunity to practice a little self-care?
Here’s a list of ways to love on yourself a little this Valentine’s Day.
(Any of these local activities can be enjoyed with a friend or used for some much-needed solo time.)
Let’s face it. As mothers, we don’t get a ton of time to pamper ourselves. Here are a few ways you can change that, even if it’s only for an hour or two!
1. Visit Synergy Spa for a massage, exfoliating dry brush or hot stone therapy in their beautiful space. One of the few massage locations I have found that gives you the full hour!
2. Check out Foot Massage Spa for a divine foot massage, hot paraffin treatment, reflexology, and finish off with a beautiful pedicure. I debated keeping this one to myself because I love it that much. It’s too good not to share though!
3. Take a trip to the fabulous Trellis Beauty, for some clean beauty! Get one of their new Skin Owl beauty steam bar. Follow that up with a makeover and some amazing clean beauty tips from their expert staff. Let’s face it, we could all stand to clean up our beauty routine a bit!
Challenge Your Body
Step outside of your comfort zone and go for a new fitness adventure!
4. Visit one of the fun new boutique fitness studios that have cropped up all over town.
5. Step outside of your comfort zone and take an aerial yoga class at Cirque de vol.
6. Check out a dance class, whether it be hip hop, jazz, ballet or tap. Let your creative juices flow and have fun moving your body. North Carolina Dance Institute has a variety of classes offered for adults!
7. Visit Midtown Yoga, voted the number one yoga studio in Raleigh in Midtown Magazine, to channel your inner zen and give your body some much-needed recovery and relaxation.
Indulge your Senses
These two options may be better with a mama friend or two, but trust me it’ll be worth all your organizational efforts!
8. Make your own chocolate while hosting a private chocolate party at The Chocolate Boutique. Parties can be hosted for 5-10 people.
9. Hoping to avoid the sugar deluge? Check out the calendar at Sur La Table and book a fun cooking class. Ranging from sushi to steak, they’re sure to have a class you’ll enjoy!
We all have an inner Martha Stewart just itching to get out. Well, maybe not. But, we could all benefit from a little time allowing our creative juices to flow. It’s good for the soul!
10. Visit Knack DIY Craft Studio to channel your inner Pinterest goddess. From wooden signs and lazy susans to string art and canvas pillows, this super cute studio has is something for everyone. They even accept walk-ins!
11. Want to get crafty with a paintbrush and canvas? Take a trip to Pinot’s Palette and let your artistic side loose. Choose from the vast selection of paintings available on their calendar and leave with your own piece of frame-worthy artwork.
Go ahead, mama! You deserve a little self-love and self-care. Why not take some time for yourself this Valentine’s Day.
How do you plan to spend your Valentine’s Day this year? Let us know in the comments!