The new school year is upon us, and with it comes the hectic schedules that never seem to jive with each other. I try my hardest to make a homemade dinner as often as possible, but you guys, it is hard
not to mention annoying when it seems like no one likes to eat the same things. I totally understand why people just grab something from the drive thru.
At my house, “Taco Tuesday” is a favorite. It is the one night everyone can get behind
and I don’t have to hear anyone whine and complain. But… Tacos? Every. Single. Tuesday? Ugh. I am beyond tired of that. So occasionally we switch it up with chicken tacos or sometimes we get a little crazy with enchiladas!
Then, I happened across a new idea that the kids love and is easy. I don’t do any recipe unless it is easy. This is for making your own Crunchwraps (like the ones at Taco Bell). The ingredients and directions listed here are from the original recipe which can be found at popsugarfood.com. There’s also a video for you visual learners.
1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup water
1 can nacho cheese
8 burrito-size flour tortillas
6 tostada shells
1 cup sour cream
2 cups lettuce, shredded
1 cup tomato, diced
1 cup Mexican cheese blend
But let’s be real. I don’t even have the ability to make fake Crunchwraps properly… because that would require me to go to the store.
So in lieu of tostada shells, I just use some tortilla chips. And I have only used the nacho cheese once because of the whole going-to-the-store issue. So I oft just leave that out. Since you are making these at home, you can really add or subtract whatever you want. My daughter likes black beans instead of meat. Sometimes my husband adds salsa or onions. You know, whatever you feel like.
The directions (below) say to cook in a large skillet. Well guess what? I don’t do that either. I know. I am a real rebel here, people! I have been fortunate to inherit
(took, with permission, from my grandfather’s basement) a lovely avocado green waffle maker that has reversible griddle plates. It is perfect for making these!
But, if you don’t have one of those (shocker), this would be a great time to dust off that George Foreman grill or your panini press. You know, anything that can cook two-sided stuff like this. Or a skillet is fine, too.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef until cooked through. Drain excess grease, and stir in the taco seasoning mix and water. Cook according to the package directions.
- Warm the nacho cheese sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Place the flour tortillas on a large plate and microwave for 20 seconds to warm them.
- Lay 1 flour tortilla on a flat surface. Spread 1/2 cup of taco meat in the center of the tortilla, about 6 inches across. Drizzle with nacho cheese sauce, and top with 1 tostada shell or crispy corn tortilla. Spread a thin layer of sour cream over the tostada shell, and top with lettuce, tomato, and shredded Mexican cheese.
- To fold the crunch wrap, start at the bottom of the flour tortilla and fold the edge up and over the center. Continue to work your way around, folding the tortilla up and over the center fillings. If there is an open spot left in the center, cut a piece from an extra flour tortilla and tuck it underneath so the fillings are completely covered.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat to a medium heat. Place the crunch wrap seam-side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the tortilla is golden brown. Carefully flip the crunch wrap over, and cook the other side until it is golden brown. Serve immediately.