Summer is winding down and swim team season is over, but water safety is something that we should be working with our children on year-round. We live in an area with so many community and personal pools in our area, not to mention access to lakes and beaches, it is so important to teach our kids how to swim.
Swimming lessons are not just for kids that are interested in swim team. Getting your little ones started in lessons when they are still babies can not only teach them how to be comfortable with water, it can teach them how to respect it. According to the CDC, as many as 10 people die of drowning every day in the US, with at least 2 of these people are children under age 14. The CDC also states that children ages 1-4 have the highest drowning rates, with “Lack of Swimming Ability” being a leading cause in those deaths.
I was delighted to find a local solution to year-round swim lessons right here locally. Aqua Tots Swim Schools has two locations in Raleigh and Cary. I was further excited to learn they start lessons as young as 4 months, which means my little one could get in the pool early on. I truly believe early exposure to water is hugely important and the success of that theory has been evident while I have watched my now 2 yr-old confidently paddle around the pool independently. I still keep a close eye on her, but she is able to navigate to the side of the pool when she needs my assistance. She was even more confident this year, swimming in the lake at my family’s camp. I feel so much better having her near community pools, that can get crowded and busy or out on open water in a boat.
Here are the Top 5 Things I love about Aqua Tots:
- Their pools are indoors! Lessons indoors are a great way to beat the heat and are also a great activity to keep kids active in busy in the dreary winter months.
- Their progressive lessons! The first two levels start you in the water with your baby and toddler. This is not only a great way to get your little one used to being in the water, but it is also a great way for YOU to learn how to interact with them in the water and equip you with the tools to work with them outside of lessons too.
- Their experienced staff! You can expect to find experienced, certified coaches to work you and your child.
- Their comfortable waiting area! I am still in the pool with my kiddo, so I haven’t had a chance to experience it yet, but I love seeing the other parents relaxing at comfortable chairs and tables with WiFi, while their kids take their lessons. It is quite a departure from metal risers!
- They offer programs for children with special needs too. In addition to helping aid in the therapeutic process, these lessons can be a great way for children with special needs to learn new swimming skills that are focused on adaptability for what will work for them.
Previously only in Cary, Aqua Tots just opened an even larger location on Six Forks Rd., conveniently located near a Starbucks I might add. Post-lesson latte anyone? You can also find them on High House Rd. in Cary. For more information on their programs, contact them at:
Raleigh – Six Forks Location
Cary – High House Location